Asphalt laying requires a lot of knowledge in the field, as there is an infinite number of varieties that affect the progress of the installation.
Determine soil type and excavate
- NDetermine soil type for proper excavation planning;
- NMake an excavation of a depth of 30 to 40 cm (depending on the type of soil detected.)
The clay soils found in and around Montreal consist of silt (the size of which lies between clay and sand) and clay. In other words, they are fine-grained soils (less than 0.075 mm). Therefore, this type of soil can be very soft… as it can be very hard, depending on its water content. This makes them either sensitive to frost or sensitive to drought, which causes their volume vary.
These are the easiest soils to work because they are mostly made of sand. In addition to being very brittle and permeable, they are much less sensitive to temperature change.
With a good mass of organic materials, these soils, composed of an underlayer of limestone and a rocky bottom, are very fertile. Unfortunately, deep excavations in this type of soil can be very expensive.
Since there are several types of asphalt, the paving varies depending on the type chosen. The paving can be carried out by a simple layer of asphalt whose thickness can go up to a maximum of 75 mm (3) and a minimum of 50 mm (2). You can also make a multi-layer paving or lay a base coat with a thick and resistant grain before continuing with a top coat.
Need a free estimate?
Create the foundation (the laying bed)
When laying asphalt, the foundation is very important as it is the granular surface on which the even pavement will be laid.
Generally, it is made of rock of mg20 or 0-3/4 ʺ, unless the surface is soft. In such a case, the latter may contain a layer of mg65 or 0-2ʺ1/2If the paving to be installed is not asphalt, then a top coat of sand or stone screen must be made, in addition to installing a geotextile membrane.
Install water drip slopes
These slopes prevent the accumulation of water that wreaks havoc on your paving.
Determine the type and grade of asphalt to install
Asphalt consists of bitumen, aggregate and fine sand. There are several types on the market, such as:
- NEB-20: bituminous asphalt where the rocks are sieved by 20 mm, it is used as a base layer;
- NEB-14: bituminous asphalt where the rocks are sieved to 14 mm, it is used as a base layer or intermediate layer;
- NEB-10s: bituminous mix where the rocks are sieved to 10 mm, it is used as a surface layer;
- NEB-10c: bituminous asphalt that is enriched and where the rocks are sieved by 10 mm, it is used as a surface or correction layer;
- NEB-5: bituminous asphalt where the rocks are sieved to 5 mm, it is used for smooth corrections. These types of asphalt are actually only a tiny fraction of the types available, the manufacturing formulas are extremely varied.
With more than 10 years of solid paving installation experience, Pavé IMH is the undisputed leader in its field in Montreal. Find out about our various specialized services offered in Montreal and its surroundings.
- Asphalt Laying
- French Drain and Foundation
- High Pressure Cleaning
- Paving Stone Installation
- Paving Stone Repair
- Seal Assembly
- Protective Coating
- Epoxy Plastering